The University of British Columbia, Canada, invites applications for its 2019/2020 International Leader of Tomorrow Award and the Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award which offer scholarships proportional to the financial needs of applicants.
Financial need is determined by tuition, fees, and living costs, minus the financial contribution you and your family can make annually. A standard needs-assessment is based on the financial information provided by you and your family. Basically, the UBC assess how much you and your family can contribute towards your education and it would cover everything else for you.
Course Level: Award is available for pursuing undergraduate degree level at the University of British Columbia.
Study Subject: Award is provided to learn any of the courses offered by the University of British Columbia.
Worth of Award
- Both scholarships cover costs of their tuition and student fees, plus their living and other related costs at UBC, minus the financial contribution the student and their family can make annually towards these costs.
- The Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award is specifically for international undergraduate students from impoverished or war-torn areas who have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances.
To be considered for an International Leader of Tomorrow Award, students must:
- Be applying for their first undergraduate degree (it is open to any course)
- Be admissible to the first choice program they are applying to, including meeting UBC’s English Language Admission Standard
- Have an excellent academic record (at least an “A” average or equivalent standard)
- Be an international student, who is neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident of Canada, and who will be studying in Canada on a Canadian Study Permit (visa)
- Demonstrate a level of financial need that would otherwise prevent them from pursuing a UBC degree
- Be entering a UBC undergraduate degree program from a recognized secondary school, college or another university
How to Apply
Award candidates must be nominated by the high school they are currently attending, recently graduated from, or the college/university they are transferring from.
- First, apply for admission to an undergraduate programme at the University of British Columbia.
- Second, as you are preparing your admission application, get your high school or university (if you are transferring from a university) to nominate you using the forms on their website (see link below).
- Although applicants to UBC can specify two program choices in their application for admission, an International Leader of Tomorrow Award nomination will be considered only in relation to the nominee’s first choice program.
- Early application is encouraged, to ensure an application decision can be made in time for nomination consideration.
- Your must apply online for admission and submit an award application by December 1, 2018 to be considered for either scholarship.
- You must meet UBC’s English Language Admission Standard (if required) by February 15, 2019.
- To check out the specific requirements for students from your country, click here.
- For more information about the scholarship, click here.